Thursday, April 16, 2009

Probing Thoughts

Today I had many more blood tests and my vaginal ultrasound. I remember the first time I was to have an ultrasound-what a shocker! I had no idea it was vaginal, I thought it was through the abdomen. So when they asked me if I wanted to put it in, it took all I had in me not to crack up! Of course today's US I don't think showed anything different-still the classic string of pearls around the ovary. Those are cysts, hence polycystic ovary syndrome. Basically those are eggs starting to develop that can't be released because of a hormonal balance. 
I also had a glucose tolerance test. I had to be fasting, get a blood test then drink this really sugary drink and re-test 2 hours later. So it was a long wait in a waiting room. The husband goes tomorrow morning for his testing. Then I have another US with bubbled saline to check if my uterus and fallopian tubes are open on next Thursday. We will see what this all brings. 
The staff is great and friendly. It is so nice because you already are on edge about all this and they make you feel better about it all. Being a patient, you realize how important that is. I have learned that people want you to communicate with them-tell them what you are going to do, and help them feel comfortable. Going through things "from the other side" as a patient has helped me become a better nurse. And for that I am grateful. I hope I never lose that.

No comments:

Post a Comment