Thursday, June 4, 2009

Surgery Stories

I have to admit, it was nerve-wracking. I was surprised about the nervousness that I felt. I felt it the day before, but the actual day I felt fine. I had a peace that I could not explain. I knew yesterday that it would be OK. 
We had to wake up at 4:30 am to get the hospital on time. When we got there, they had me change into a gown and try to stay warm with that and a small blanket. Then the question came: "Could you be pregnant, do we need to take a test?" Uh, no. "Are you sure?" Yes. (I wanted to say, "Pretty sure lady, that's why I am here. And on top of me not being able to get pregnant, Dr. RE put me on BCP's to thin my uterine lining so, no, not pregnant and don't ask me again and please pass it on to everyone else, cuz I know they are going to ask me too.") I knew it would just be one more thing on the bill that I would have to fight with insurance for. (SOOO sick of doing that!)
Then the IV, right in the hand. OUCH. They like putting what I like to call "hoses" in you before surgery. They let that IV bag run dry by the time they moved me to "holding", so my bladder was ready to burst, which is what Dr. RE wanted. Then the RN with the happy juice med that makes you not care about anything came in and gave me "the stuff" into the hose. Why do they do that before the Dr comes in? By the time she came in, I didn't care what they were going to do, and I forgot all my questions for her. I didn't remember them until I got home! 
Then came the OR. They wheeled me in, put oxygen in me, and I don't remember anything after that. Nice. That's what I wanted. I don't want to remember any of it.
Dr. RE told JJ it was just one fibroid. She gave him some pictures. It looks relatively small. I am glad to get that little sucker out of there and she was able to do it all vaginally.
I woke up in my room in pain, a pain I haven't experienced before. It was sharp and in my lower abdomen and vagina, and I wanted it gone. I also felt like I had to use the bathroom, but I knew it was too soon to get up. I felt though, that if I went, it would relieve some of the pain. I had to wait for that though. The nurse gave me some pain medicine, and that helped a little so I could go back to sleep. Then I woke up and thought my bladder was going to explode. So the nurse helped me up, and I felt much better after that. Some more sleeping, and more meds happened until I was awake enough to drink (finally--and it relieved my terrible breath JJ said I had) and eat and then go home.
It was good to be home. I slept for a few more hours. I had pain the rest of the day, but it was tolerable with just some ibuprofen. It got annoying towards the end of the day, but today I hardly have any. I think I can get back to work tomorrow--back to real life again.
I have a follow up visit next week where I am sure that we will discuss the next step. I am hoping I won't have to wait several months or something. I am hoping we start right in on it. I am done waiting!! Baby here we come!! (Oh Lord make it happen on the first try!)


  1. You poor baby ((Hugs))

    Praying that you won't have to wait too long.

  2. Glad you're surgery is OVER - yay! It's funny, I had a fibroid removed right around the same time (May 27). However, I experienced almost no pain afterward -- I'm sorry. :( I hope this gets you ready for a BFP very soon!!