Friday, May 21, 2010

Our Common Thread

It's amazing to me how open I am about my infertility sometimes. But I am so glad sometimes that I pipe up about it and share my struggles. Even being pregnant, I still have opportunities to share what I went through. Today I had a patient who was asking about my pregnancy and I shared about our struggles to get this blessing and she opened up about her DIL who was having problems. She has had 3 miscarriages already and is afraid of her chances dwindling because of her age. I was shocked to see the pain and concern on my patient's face as she shared how hard it has been for her DIL. I guess family members share in the pain too. I never thought of that before. I felt the freedom to share how hard it is when you want a baby so bad and it seems like everyone else is getting pregnant around you and the pain that you feel when that's happening. Even with my baby kicking inside me, I felt that pain again. I felt it for her and her DIL and I wanted to take it away because I know it, and I don't want anyone else to know it. I want them to know the joy of expecting a miracle. I will pray she gets her miracle, as we have.

7 comments:

  1. That's nice that you still speaking up even though you are on the "other" side. Although I guess once you start this journey, it changes no matter where you end up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it helps us and other people when we share our struggles. I'm very open about it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can really relate to what you have written. Even though I'm finally pregnant (I think we're due around the same day!) after IVF and IF, I feel so much pain for those who are still struggling.

    I too am very open about my IF. I think by you sharing with those around you about IF it helps brings awareness to the cause.
    ~ ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your miracle!

    Happy ICLW!!
    #40 http://thegalwho.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once I was pg, I became and open book about it. I'll tell anybody and everybody about our IVF experience now. I don't want somebody who's where I was to think it came easily to us.

    I left a long message on your Doula Dilemma msg. Don't want you to miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think many of us who have struggled with IF never really let go of that pain, and it makes us more empathetic towards others. I wish everyone who wanted a baby, could have one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whenever I have mentioned about infertility struggles I always get a story in return. I wish it wasn't that way.

    Congrats on the pregnancy!
    HappyICLW!(#64)

    ReplyDelete